Colorado Real Estate Network Local Market Update for November 2017

Comparing the percent change from November 2016 to Novmeber 2017, New Listings remain the same for single family homes and townhouse-condo properties.

The Median Sales Price was up 32.5% to $334,500 for single family homes and Days on Market decreased 72.4%.

New tax legislation could have ramifications on housing. The White House believes that the tax reform bill will have a small impact on home prices, lowering them by less than 4 percent, and could conceivably boost homeownership. The National Association of REALTORS® has stated that eliminating the mortgage interest deduction could hurt housing, as the doubled standard deduction would reduce the desire to take out a mortgage and itemize the interest associated with it, thus reducing demand. This is a developing story.

Lake San Cristobal Overlook October 21, 2017

Photo taken by A. Danielle Worthen

Colorado Real Estate Network Local Market Update for September 2017

Comparing 2016 to 2017 in the Lake City area, New Listings were down 9.1 percent for single family homes. The Median Sales Price for single family homes went from $525,000 in 2016 to $262,500 in 2017 which is down 50 percent. The Average Sales Price for single family homes went from $575,000 in 2016 to $288,500 in 2017 which is down 49.8 percent.

Last year at this time, the national storyline was about how high demand was propping up sales and prices despite low inventory and months of supply. That has actually continued to be a familiar refrain for many months in 2017 and now for the past couple of years. But with the likes of Hurricanes Harvey and Irma, different employment outlooks, disparate incomes, varying new construction expectations and potential housing policy shifts, regional differences are becoming more prevalent and pronounced.

Lake City/Hinsdale County OHV Regulations

OHVs are allowed on all Hinsdale County and Town of Lake City roads.

OHV Regulations include:

  1. Must comply with all Colorado statutes pertaining to motor vehicles in motion. Must follow posted speed limit (all town streets are 15 mph, HWY 149 varies) and any other traffic laws.
  2. Vehicle operators must have Valid Driver’s License in possession.
  3. Proof of minimum liability insurance for each vehicle.
  4. Helmet is required for riders under 18 years of age unless in a child restraint (a bicycle helmet will NOT suffice).
  5. Motor vehicle child restraint laws apply.
  6. Eye protection for EVERY rider (prescription glasses, sunglasses, goggles, etc.  A vehicle windshield also satisfies this requirement.)
  7. No more occupants than OHV designed by manufacturer.  (ATVs may have 2 occupants.)
  8. If provided by the manufacturer, seat belts must be worn.
  9. Stay on designated roads.
  10. Highly recommended – rear view mirror.

San Juan Ranch Estates Fishing Report for May 4, 2017

Here is Hall Realty Broker, Scott Williams’ fishing report for May 4th from the Lake Fork of the Gunnison River semi-private section in the San Juan Ranch Estates Subdivision:

“In case anyone is asking…  Fishing was GREAT today at San Juan Ranch.
Here are several Becky took.

What a place”

Fishing Update from Broker Scott Williams on April 11, 2017

Fishing at San Juan Ranch today continued to impress.  The fish were hitting
small nymphs (as you can see in the photo.)

The river is still wade worthy which makes it easy to get to the good spots!

Photo by Becky Williams

March 2017 Fly Fishing Report by Broker Scott Williams

I fished Highbridge section today with good results from about 11:00 to
1:00pm.  I still didn’t see any surface takes but the viciousness of the
strikes along with observing the fish higher in the water column were good
signs!  I caught several little ones plus some pretty fat medium-sized ones.
All hit nymphs but unlike earlier in the season, they were hitting the upper
nymph instead of the lower one.  (Maybe my lower one just didn’t look very
good!)  I did not catch as many as I might in that first week after the
major blowout subsides.  However, for March fishing, it was pretty good
today.  Also, the color of the rainbow trout is beginning to get beautiful.
Soon they’ll be spawning and the color will be even more dramatic


Hinsdale County Construction Planning Guidelines 2017

Hinsdale County Building Department Construction Planning Guidelines as of 1-1-2017

  • Zoning:  What zoning district are you in?  How does it affect your project?  Will you be required to obtain a special or conditional use permit?  What subdivision covenants must you consider?
  • Historical District:  Is your building site within the Historical District?  Review by the Town Historical Preservation Commission is required.  Applications are available at the Town Hall, 230 North Bluff Street.
  • Setbacks:  What is required within the specific zoning area or subdivision for distances from property lines, wells, OWTS, propane tanks, etc.?
  • Floodplain:  Is the proposed building site within a floodplain?  Do you need to apply for a floodplain development permit?  Will you need an engineered foundation, building plan or sewage disposal system? Applications are available at the County Administration offices, 311 North Henson Street.
  • Water & Sanitation District:  Is your property within the water and sanitation district or is it within 400 feet of district water or sewer lines?  Have you paid your tap fees and installed a water meter?  If you are in a subdivision, does it have its own water system or sewage disposal system?  If you are outside the water and sanitation district, how will you obtain potable water and treat wastewater?
  • Onsite Wastewater Treatment System (OWTS):  Do you need to apply for an OWTS permit?  Will the soil at the proposed building site support an OWTS?  If you have a commercial operation, will you have to meet state OWTS requirements?  Will you need to have an engineered system because of being located in a floodplain, wetland, high water table, highly compacted or rocky soil, etc.?  Applications are available at the County Administration Office, 311 North Henson Street.
  • Water System:  If you are not in the water and sanitation district or a subdivision with such systems, how will you obtain potable water?  Obtain well permit information from the State of Colorado.  Will a community water system under state regulations be required?
  • Drainage:  Does building site allow proper drainage away from structures?  Are there any possible flash flood washes that may affect the building?
  • Geologic Hazards, Avalanche Zones, Steep Slopes, etc.:  Are there natural hazards associated with your building site?  Specially engineered buildings may be required.
  • Soil Conditions:  Will conditions at the proposed site support a structure?  Is the site on bedrock, wetlands, mine tailings or waste rock?  Will you have to blast or bring in structural fill?
  • Subdivision Regulations (if applicable):  Does the HOA require architectural review?  Are there covenants that must be considered?
  • Road Cut Permit:  Does your driveway access a County Road?  Does utility installation require excavation along or across a County Road?  Obtain a Road Cut Permit.  Applications are available at the County Administration Office, 311 North Henson Street.
  • Building Permit Application:  Applications are available online or from the County Administration Office, 311 North Henson Street.  Please see Hinsdale County document ‘Building Permit Guidelines’.  Plan review may take up to 30 days.  Please plan accordingly.
  • Use Tax:  Use Tax Declaration is available online or from the County Administration Office, 311 North Henson Street.  Please see Hinsdale County document ‘Building Permit Guidelines’.
  • Additional Considerations:  Please see ‘Building Permit Guidelines’.
    • 2012 IRC/IBC
    • 2009 IFC
    • Foundation frost protection
    • Snowload
    • Insulation requirements
    • State demolition permit
    • See Building Official for additional design criteria
  • State Plumbing Permits:  All plumbing installations must meet state code requirements and be inspected and approved by a State of Colorado plumbing inspector.  All permitting is coordinated through the Colorado State Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA).
  • State Electrical Permits:  All electrical installations must meet state code requirements and be inspected and approved by a State of Colorado electrical inspector.  All permitting is coordinated through the Colorado State Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA).
  • Minimum Required Inspections:  Please see ‘Building Permit Guidelines’.
    • Preliminary/Site
    • Foundation
    • Framing
    • Roof
    • Mechanical
    • Plumbing & Electrical (by State of Colorado)
    • Insulation
    • Drywall/Fire Separation
    • Drainage
    • Final Inspection
  • Certificate of Occupancy (CO):  You cannot utilize your structure or move into your residence until all necessary inspections have been completed and you have been issued a CO.

Hinsdale County Building Department
311 North Henson Street
P.O. Box 277
Lake City, CO  81235



Operation of Off-Highway Vehicles within the Town of Lake City

Town of Lake City, Colorado, Ordinance No. 2016-02

Section 2:  14.4 Off-Highway Vehicles.

(1)  As used in this section, “off-highway vehicle” shall have the meaning given in Colorado Revised Statute § 33-14.5-101, as amended from time to time.

(2)  As used in this Section, “public road” means and shall include any road, street, alley, avenue, thoroughfare, public way, or other public property within the Town of Lake City.

(3)  It shall be lawful to operate off-highway vehicles on all public roads within the Town of Lake City, except public roads that are part of the state highway system, provided that:

a.  The operator of the off-highway vehicle has in his or her possession a valid motor vehicle driver’s license or operator’s license.

b.  The operator of the off-highway vehicle shall have in full force and effect a complying policy of insurance under the terms of Part 6, Article 4, Title 10, of the Colorado Revised Statutes, covering such off-highway vehicle.

(4) It shall be unlawful for any person to operate an off-highway vehicle on any public road in violation of the regulations of Title 42 of the Colorado Revised Statues pertaining to the movement of traffic on roadways within the Town of Lake City.

(5)  It shall be unlawful for any person to operate an off-highway vehicle on any public road at a speed greater than fifteen miles per hour (15 m.p.h.).

(6)  It shall be unlawful for any person to allow, authorize, suffer or permit an off highway-vehicle owned or belonging to him or her, or that is under his or her control, to be operated by any other person in violation of this Section.

(7)  Any person convicted of a violation of this Section shall be subject to a fine not to exceed $300.00, for each separate violation.

(8)  This Section shall be enforced by any law enforcement or peace officer, including the Hinsdale County Sheriff or a person designated by the Sheriff as the County Off-Highway Vehicle Enforcement Officer.

(9)  Any fines collected by the Town of Lake City for violations of this Section shall be deposited to the Street and Alley fund.

Rainwater Collection in Colorado

The information provided is based primarily on language in Colorado House Bill 16-1005 and is intended to inform citizens on how to properly use rain barrels in accordance with Colorado law.

Rainwater collection, also called rainwater “harvesting” is the process of capturing, storing and directing rainwater runoff and putting it to use. Water from roof gutter downspouts is usually directed onto landscaped areas and is incidentally consumed by plants, but this form of use is not regarded as rainwater harvesting.

Colorado residents should understand that water rights in Colorado are unique compared to other parts of the country. The use of water in this state and other western states is governed by what is known as the prior appropriation doctrine. This doctrine of water allocation controls who uses water, how much water may be used, the typed of uses allowed, and when those waters can be used. A simplified way to explain this system is often referred to as the priority system or “first in time, first in right.”

Rain barrel use under HB16-1005:  Under House Bill 16-1005, rain barrels can only be installed at single-family households and multi-family households with four (4) or fewer units. A maximum of two (2) rain barrels can be used at each household and the combined storage of the 2 rain barrels cannot exceed 110 gallons. Rain barrels can only be used to capture rainwater from rooftop downspouts and the caputred rainwater must be used on the same property from which the rainwater was captured, for only outdoor purposes, including to water outdoor lawns, plants and/or gardens. Rain barrel water cannot be used for drinking or other indoor water uses.

It is important for rain barrel users to understand that the capture and use of rainwater using rain barrels does not constitute a water right. HB16-1005 includes language that could result in the State Engineer curtailing the use of indiviual rain barrels if a water right holder can prove that those rain barrels have impacted their ability to receive the water that they are entitled to by virtue of their water right.

How much irrigation could I expect to accomplish with rain barrels?  Each time you collect the maximum 110 gallons of water allowed in rain barrels, you can adequately irrigate approximately 180 square feet (a bit smaller than a 15 foot by 15 foot area) of vegetable garden or lawn area with the captured water. This estimate is based on CSU Extension recommendations to water lawns and vegetable gardens with about 1 inch of water during each irrigation cycle. However, a typical rain barrel user can only expect the rain barrels to completely fill aobut 10-15 times during the growing season, while vegetable gardens and lawns need to be irrigated at least twice as times per year depending on watering practices. Thus, supplemental irrigation will still be necessary to maintain a healthy lawn and vegetable garden.

For addtional information on the Colorado State University Extension Fact Sheet No. 6.707, please visit:

Realtor, Equal Housing, MLS